Monday, March 24, 2014

IS NOTHING SACRED?


It is socially unacceptable in my neck of the woods to invoke the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in vain.

Such is not the case in godless California where my wife and I recently visited in order to attend the wedding of my nephew Chris. It wasn't the first time I'd been out west but all the same, the values and the lifestyles out there still disturb me. It seems so rudderless, vacant, materialistic and vain. 

We spent most of our time in L.A. and I have to say, even the fat people out there looked slim .

Chris is a good kid who worked his way up from a production assistant on a reality program to becoming what they call a show runner on a popular cable TV sit-com that I have never heard of. He makes good money and lives in a nice place but he has never forgotten who he is and where he came from.

His new wife is another story.

She swears like a longshoreman, doesn't know how to cook, speaks French and does something called Pilates which requires her to wake up every morning at 4:45. Who am I to judge but if you ask me, Chris could have done a lot better.

Anyway, we stayed in a medium-sized hotel with an outdoor pool near the Sunset Strip. The location was about as seedy and smelly as our old Greyhound station here in Elmira. I was leafing through the crisply paginated copy of the Bible one night before going to bed (at least they still kept ol' Gideon tucked away in the nightstand drawer) ruminating on the fury of the Prophets and the grace of the Son when a slip of hotel stationary fell to floor.


Case closed - the defense rests.

No comments:

Post a Comment